- Final up to date:
Lately, if you wish to construct a web site all by your self, you get to choose from tens of instruments. That mentioned, in the case of the very best options on the market, you’ll wish to slim issues all the way down to Squarespace vs WordPress.
Because you’re right here, you’ve most likely heard about this Squarespace factor and this different WordPress factor – however you’re not precisely positive what these instruments are and how they differ.
The excellent news is that you simply’re in the suitable place to search out out!
On this information, we’re going to match each platforms, describe the variations between them, and inform you when utilizing one vs the opposite is a greater concept. We’re additionally going to current a listing of professionals and cons of Squarespace vs WordPress and look at how easy-to-use they’re.
It might appear to be a whole lot of stuff, however once we’re carried out, you’ll know precisely which of the 2 might be finest on your particular person wants.
Let’s get began:
Desk of Contents
Squarespace vs WordPress in a nutshell
Table of Contents
- Squarespace vs WordPress in a nutshell
- WHAT IS SQUARESPACE?
- WHAT IS WORDPRESS?
- WHAT’S THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SQUARESPACE AND WORDPRESS?
- Getting began with Squarespace
- OTHER FEATURES OF SQUARESPACE
- Getting began with WordPress
- OTHER FEATURES OF WORDPRESS
- Squarespace design choices
- WordPress design choices
- Squarespace ease of use
- WordPress ease of use
- Squarespace professionals & cons
- WordPress professionals & cons
- Squarespace vs WordPress: who’s the winner?
WHAT IS SQUARESPACE?
- In a nutshell: Squarespace is an all-in-one platform that means that you can construct a web site from begin to end all by your self – with no exterior assist – after which have that web site hosted on Squarespace’s servers.
- Worth: $12-$40/month (paid yearly) relying on the plan you select. Plus, there’s a customized area identify included at no cost for one yr. There’s a free trial obtainable.
Squarespace is an internet instrument for constructing web sites.
Consider it as a spot the place you’ll be able to enroll, log in, after which get taken by the hand via all of the phases of getting a web site created. You’ll go from a clean canvas to a lovely, absolutely useful web site.
Squarespace’s most important promoting level is that the platform can be utilized by anybody, even in case you have no prior site-building expertise. Furthermore, this isn’t about constructing only a so-so web site, however about constructing a lovely and optimized website that’s in tune with fashionable requirements and traits.
With Squarespace, you’ll be able to create every kind of internet sites – from easy enterprise websites to blogs, eCommerce shops, portfolio websites, and extra.
WHAT IS WORDPRESS?
- In a nutshell: WordPress is an open-source software program that acts as an engine that runs your web site. It must be put in on an internet server earlier than it may be used. WordPress comes outfitted to allow you to create and handle web site content material in an environment friendly approach.
- Worth: The principle software program is free, however it’s a must to pay for the net host the place you’ll set up WordPress (normally from round $5-10/month), plus there’s the price of a site identify. Should you’re fortunate, you’ll get a site identify at no cost out of your internet host. If not, you’ll have to purchase it individually.
WordPress is a bit of server software program.
In an effort to use it, you first must get entry to a internet hosting account (which suggests shopping for some server house). Then, you’ll be able to set up the WordPress software program on that server. Though this may increasingly sound troublesome at first, in observe, most internet hosts have very easy-to-use, one-click set up instruments for WordPress, so you actually don’t have to fret about it. Getting WordPress itself put in might be a breeze.
After you may have WordPress working, you’ll be able to configure your website through a useful administration panel. This panel is the place you’ll be able to choose designs, add new options, set the core options to suit your wants, and so forth.
There aren’t any limitations to the kind of web sites you’ll be able to construct with WordPress. With the suitable set of plugins (add-on function packs) and a very good theme (ready-made design), WordPress is able to working any – and I do imply any – sort of web site.
WHAT’S THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SQUARESPACE AND WORDPRESS?
I really feel that is one thing I ought to emphasize some extra since this stuff are sometimes complicated to new customers:
- Squarespace is an internet instrument.
- WordPress is a bit of software program that must be put in on an internet server.
In observe, which means with a view to use Squarespace, all it’s a must to do is join an account at Squarespace.com, and also you’ll be capable of begin working in your website straight away.
WordPress, however, entails somewhat extra technical work and requires you to really feel comfy round software program normally, taking part in with issues like plugins, themes, and never being intimidated by the technical aspect of how web sites work. This expertise is one thing that, in the long term, will usually be of big profit to anybody working any sort of on-line presence for his or her enterprise.
Getting began with Squarespace
Let’s get extra particular about both platform in our Squarespace vs WordPress comparability, beginning with Squarespace:
Squarespace offers a start-to-finish guided expertise for constructing your web site. Your journey begins by deciding on a design. There are many attention-grabbing templates to select from, they usually cowl a lot of fashionable niches.
When you make your choose, Squarespace will ask you to create a brand new person account. This half is customary – you’ll be able to enroll along with your e-mail, or by integrating Squarespace along with your Fb or Google profile.
Within the subsequent step, Squarespace will ask on your website’s title and offer you a fast introduction on the way to create new pages and edit them. After that, you’ll be redirected to the primary Squarespace dashboard.
From there, you’ll be able to start working in your website. To make all this simpler to know, Squarespace has a cool assistant window on the suitable. You’ll discover probably the most essential steps of the web site creation course of highlighted there.
To alter something about your web site’s design, click on on the EDIT button within the higher left nook of the preview window. Once you do this, you’ll be taken to the primary customization interface of Squarespace’s.
This interface is absolutely visible and doesn’t require any coding abilities with a view to use it successfully. You can realign all parts with drag and drop, and in addition edit them individually by clicking into them and making your adjustments.
New parts could be added by clicking on the plus button. Squarespace is useful right here as effectively, and has a lot of recommendations lined up for you. You can choose from varied sorts of content material blocks which might be categorized in a neat approach.
Your complete web site is organized round particular person subpages which might be related via the primary menu. By navigating the choices, you’ll be able to alter every web page and set the way it pertains to different pages.
Alongside the way in which, you can too make the most of varied further options like integrating an internet retailer, a weblog, social media blocks, or even a reservation module for eating places, plus many different elements.
Maybe the largest benefit of this complete surroundings is that you simply’re seeing your website precisely like your guests are going to see it later. This isn’t customary amongst different related instruments available on the market.
Lastly, you get to decide on whether or not you wish to use your individual customized area or have your website hosted on a subdomain (i.e.
You can work on constructing and customizing your website through the free trial. Nonetheless, to really present that website to the world, you’ll must improve to one of many paid subscriptions.
OTHER FEATURES OF SQUARESPACE
- Big selection of web site designs obtainable (extra on that in a minute)
- Purposeful content material customization module
- Handsome portfolio templates
- Running a blog instruments
- eCommerce performance
- Constructed-in website positioning instruments
- Third-party instrument integrations
- Cell enhancing through iOS and Android apps
- Built-in picture editor
- Built-in social media options
- 24/7 assist
- Internet hosting included in the primary supply
- Constructed-in web site site visitors statistics
⭐ Options: 9/10
Getting began with WordPress
The peculiar factor about utilizing WordPress is that your journey with it doesn’t truly begin with it – as unusual as which will sound.
Right here’s the factor, if you wish to use WordPress because the software program working your website, you may have to enroll in a internet hosting account first, and solely then can you may have WordPress put in on that account.
Relying on the internet hosting agency you select, putting in WordPress could be extra or simpler. Considerably of a regular within the business amongst website hosting corporations is to present customers entry to one-click script installer instruments – the most well-liked of which is named Softaculous. These aren’t notably troublesome to make use of, and your host could have some guides that can assist you get via the method.
Right here at WinningWP, we advocate our readers to make use of SiteGround. It’s our go-to internet hosting resolution for WordPress websites. The corporate has nice buyer evaluations all through the net, and in addition makes it actually easy to get WordPress put in. As quickly as you signal as much as SiteGround and log in for the primary time, you’ll see a immediate asking in order for you SiteGround to put in WordPress for you. So identical to that, on the click on of a button, you’ll have a working WordPress website prepared.
Quick ahead, with a clear model of WordPress put in, you’ll be able to start engaged on customizing your website to match your wants. As you’ll be able to see, having to take care of internet hosting (through a third-party firm) is a further hurdle it’s essential to recover from vs what the expertise is with Squarespace. After that, although, utilizing WordPress is sort of simple.
You can discover your WordPress administration panel at
A very good place to start working with WordPress is by selecting a design on your web site. This may be carried out by going to Look → Themes (from the menu on the left). As soon as there, click on on Add New, which is able to then take you to the official WordPress theme listing.
The themes you’ll discover there are all free. There are actually 1000’s of them obtainable, so that you’re positive to search out one thing that fits your wants.
Bear in mind, although, that not all themes include optimized and customizable demo content material – like they at all times do with Squarespace. To be on the protected aspect, you’ll be able to try a few of the extra fashionable themes within the listing first, like Astra, Neve, OceanWP, or GeneratePress. All of them have demo import modules which might be considerably just like Squarespace’s.
Upon getting your theme, the subsequent step is increasing the performance of your website (must you want to do it) utilizing plugins.
Why you would possibly wish to set up plugins?
One other distinction between Squarespace vs WordPress is that WordPress bets on minimalism in the case of the options which might be obtainable within the platform out the gate. In different phrases, you get solely the completely essential options, which is a superb start line to construct on. Then, you’ll be able to choose from, once more, 1000’s of plugins (a lot of them free) for particular further options, like eCommerce, website positioning, contact varieties, improved safety, and so forth.
You can discover plugins by going go to Plugins → Add New from the primary menu.
At this level, you’ll be able to name it a day when it comes to placing the structure of your web site collectively, and start including content material (i.e. pages, pictures, and so forth.).
Since WordPress was primarily designed as a running a blog platform, the primary content material sort are “posts.” On the front-end of your website, posts are displayed in reverse chronological order, which makes them nice for issues like firm information.
OTHER FEATURES OF WORDPRESS
- 1000’s of free and paid themes and designs (extra on that in a minute)
- 1000’s of free and paid plugins to increase the essential performance of your website
- Superior person administration; nice in case you have a couple of particular person contributing to the location
- Superior content material administration skills, with revisions, media embedding, and extra
- Customise your content material utilizing superior styling choices and guide HTML enhancing
- Built-in primary picture enhancing
- Social media integration obtainable via plugins
- website positioning options obtainable via plugins
- Visitors statistics obtainable via plugins or exterior instruments
- Countless prospects for adjusting the way in which your web site behaves and appears
⭐ Options: 10/10
Squarespace design choices
Relating to design, Squarespace subscribes to the concept of high quality over amount. It has a few dozens of web site templates obtainable, which isn’t quite a bit, however they’re all of top-quality! The listing is closely curated and options award-winning designs created by high designers within the business.
What’s additionally value noticing is that the templates are at all times saved recent and comply with fashionable internet design traits. You gained’t discover something outdated within the catalog. All templates are additionally optimized for cellular units and tablets, present good readability, and it’s fairly obvious that creating them took a whole lot of effort.
Most significantly, the templates could be personalized freely to suit your web site concept and guarantee that your content material will get the highlight it deserves.
⭐ Design choices: 9/10
WordPress design choices
WordPress is king in the case of the variety of designs that you may import in your website. There are actually 1000’s of themes obtainable within the official listing alone (at WordPress.org), plus 1000’s of different themes – each free and premium – launched by unbiased builders and provided via third-party web sites.
That mentioned, not every thing is of top quality, so it’s a must to do some extra in-depth analysis earlier than committing to a theme.
All the things about WordPress is open supply, which signifies that anybody can begin growing their very own WordPress theme in the event that they want to. As a consequence, you’ll discover superior, unbelievable themes, however you’ll additionally discover themes which might be merely mediocre at finest.
Separating the wheat from the chaff may be troublesome for an inexperienced person (notice: we’ve tried to assist somewhat by compiling a listing of reliable premium-theme suppliers right here).
- Needless to say when you resolve to get a paid theme, you’ll have to hook up with your internet hosting account through FTP and add it manually (though this isn’t truly in any respect troublesome as soon as you understand how).
On the finish of the day, WordPress nonetheless wins when it comes to obtainable designs. Sure, a few of them are so-so, however there are nonetheless extra superior designs obtainable for WordPress general than there are for Squarespace.
⭐ Design choices: 10/10
Subsequent, which one is simpler to make use of? Squarespace vs WordPress?
Squarespace ease of use
As I discussed within the earlier sections, Squarespace is a platform that’s very easy to make use of and really beginner-friendly.
The positioning builder module itself offers a properly guided expertise, so that you’re taken step-by-step via the entire course of of making your web site. There’s no earlier site-building or coding expertise required with a view to use Squarespace successfully.
On high of that, you additionally get entry to 24/7 assist – so it doesn’t matter what difficulties you would possibly hit, you’ll be able to at all times contact somebody who could have solutions for you.
⭐ Ease of use: 10/10
WordPress ease of use
I would like to separate this into two components: the benefit of constructing a web site, and the benefit of working a web site.
Let’s start with working your website. Performing your day by day (or weekly) duties associated to working a web site is greater than comfy with WordPress. The platform is exceptionally approachable in the case of creating new items of content material (posts or pages) and managing or enhancing the present ones.
Nonetheless, the opposite aspect of the coin – constructing a web site within the first place – isn’t as easy. Making your web site look and carry out precisely the way in which you need it should require a while and dedication.
There are quite a few facets and issues that go into constructing a top quality WordPress website, and a few of them simply can’t be skipped – like getting the suitable set of plugins. Should you’re a newbie, configuring your WordPress set up for the primary time could be difficult.
Then again, if you wish to go actually deep into modifying your website – presumably in some unspecified time in the future tweaking the supply code (HTML and CSS) as effectively, then solely WordPress offers you full freedom to take action.
⭐ Ease of use: 8/10
Squarespace professionals & cons
- It’s an all-in-one resolution. There aren’t any technical facets to fret about. The internet hosting is taken care of by Squarespace, so is every thing else that sits below the hood and runs in your website. You can simply deal with creating content material and having fun with your web site.
- It affords a powerful set of designs which might be optimized for cellular and grouped into a number of classes in accordance with their goal (i.e., enterprise, private, and so forth.). Each design appears fashionable and is in tune with present traits.
- It has a very good interface that takes you thru the entire course of of creating your new website a actuality.
- It has a pleasant set of built-in options that just about cowl the complete spectrum of web site constructing (you get a weblog, an eCommerce module, a portfolio, and so forth.).
- You don’t even have full management over your web site. If, for any cause, Squarespace questions your website’s content material and decides that it’s not in tune with their pointers, they’ll take it down.
- Most designs obtainable with Squarespace assume that you’ll use enticing, high-quality pictures in your website – for instance, there are massive picture backgrounds and big picture headers. This solely works when you even have such pictures at your disposal. Should you don’t, high-quality royalty-free pictures have their value tags. You additionally must be pretty design-conscious to make the most of such pictures and be capable of construct your website’s closing look based mostly on them.
- The probabilities when it comes to customizing your content material are restricted. You must make do with what the platform offers, and might’t make extra in-depth modifications of your individual.
WordPress professionals & cons
- The platform is free and open-source.
- There are millions of designs/themes and 1000’s of plugins obtainable.
- WordPress is the most well-liked content material administration system on the net. It’s estimated that just about 40%(!) of all web sites run on WordPress.
- It’s a usually protected and safe platform with frequent updates.
- You have full management over your web site and its content material. Even in an excessive state of affairs, in case your internet hosting supplier decides to cancel your account, you’ll be able to nonetheless take your website and easily transfer it to a different host. In brief, you’re the solely particular person in cost.
- WordPress has nice content material administration options that allow you to deal with your posts, pages, and different content material. You may also handle media and every thing else that you simply wish to publish in your web site.
- You must deal with internet hosting your website via a 3rd get together.
- It’s tougher to search out high quality designs/themes which might be equal components optimized, fashionable, useful, mobile-friendly, and general handsome.
- The educational curve is a bit steeper if you wish to grasp the admin interface and actually perceive the way to use WordPress to its full potential.
- You get no assist, per se, from the WordPress staff. You can at all times go to the official assist boards, however there’s no assure anybody will reply. The one assist you do get goes to be out of your internet host.
Squarespace vs WordPress: who’s the winner?
|Worth||$12-$40/mo.||$5-10/mo. (value of internet hosting)|
|Ease of use||10/10||8/10|
So who wins this battle? As a lot as I hate saying this – it relies upon.
In some situations, WordPress is considerably higher than Squarespace, however I’d as effectively make the case the opposite approach round.
To provide the most correct reply I can, listed here are some suggestions as to whenever you would possibly wish to choose Squarespace vs WordPress:
- Use Squarespace when you’re a complete newbie to web site constructing, and also you simply wish to create a lovely web site for both your self or your corporation.
- Use WordPress if you wish to have extra freedom in crafting your web site, you’re not afraid to experiment with various things, and also you’re able to spend time studying the platform. Additionally, choose WordPress if you wish to have full management over your web site with nobody having the ability to pull the plug on it however you.
Squarespace or WordPress? Who’s your winner?