MANITOWOC – Manitowoc’s out-of-this-world Sputnikfest returns Saturday and will group up with Art Slam. The festivities might be on and close to the Rahr-West Art Museum grounds, 610 N. Eighth St. Admission is free.
Sputnikfest commemorates the 1962 crash landing of the Russian Sputnik IV spacecraft in the course of North Eighth Street in Manitowoc, instantly in entrance of the museum. The occasion was named one of many Top Five Funkiest Festivals within the nation by Readers Digest.
Art Slam began in 2018 and highlights work of native artists and features a public mural challenge.
Here is the lineup of actions for each occasions, which will even function meals and drinks for buy:
- 10:30-11:45 a.m. — 5K registration and packet pickup
- Noon — 5K Art Run/Walk
- 1-3 p.m. — 501st Legion, a worldwide Star Wars costuming group composed of and operated by Star Wars followers
- 1:30-5:30 p.m. — Live music with Bazooka Joe
- 3 p.m. — Alien pet contest
- 4 p.m. — Mini Space Debris and Adult Space Debris costume contests
- 5:30 p.m. — Alien Drop raffle
- 7 p.m. — Let Me Be Frank comedy efficiency “Sputnik Manitowoc”; requires tickets
- 9 a.m.-3 p.m. — Public mural challenge at South Ninth and Chicago streets in Manitowoc
- 10 a.m.-noon — Art Slam registration
- Noon-3 p.m. — Cosmic Kids Creation Station (tie dying, clay portray and rocket constructing)
- Noon-3 p.m. — Live statue
- Noon-5 p.m. — Live portray by Lucas Bagemehl
- Noon-6 p.m. — Spittin’ Image dwell portrait portray (register to Darla LeClair at 920-645-4896 or [email protected])
Art Slam exhibit and opening reception
Artwork created through the Art Slam competition might be displayed in an Art Slam exhibit working Sept. 17-Oct. 17 at Rahr-West Art Museum.
An opening reception for the exhibit might be from 6 to eight p.m. Sept. 17, along with the closing reception of Really Big Prints. Manitowoc native Nick Mueller would be the keynote speaker for the reception. He might be presenting a slide present in regards to the historical past of how structure and artwork formed American cities and the way it influences our present-day neighborhood.
Light snacks and drinks might be served at the reception, which is free and open to the general public.
The Art Slam exhibit will then be on show throughout common museum hours at the Rahr-West: 10 a.m-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Fridays, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays, and closed Mondays. The museum is a City of Manitowoc facility and the museum and galleries are open free of charge to the general public.
Contact Brandon Reid at 920-686-2984 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at @breidHTRNews.