The Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention on Friday launched new data in regards to the omicron variant of COVID-19 based mostly on 43 cases in the US. Whereas the pattern is small and it’s nonetheless too early to inform how the variant will behave—the extent to which it is going to evade vaccine safety, unfold extra quickly, or outcompete the delta variant—the information affords an early glimpse on the latest variant of concern, as designated by the World Well being Group (WHO) on November 24. Listed below are among the key findings:
Cases, demographics, particulars
Table of Contents
The report appears at particulars from 43 recognized omicron cases in the US, with the primary symptom being reported on November 15.
Of these 43 cases:
- 25 have been individuals between 18-39
- 10 have been individuals between 40-64
- 14 reported touring internationally inside 14 days earlier than signs or a constructive take a look at outcome
- 34 have been totally vaccinated
- 14 obtained a booster (5 of these obtained a booster lower than 14 days earlier than symptom onset
- 9 have been unvaccinated
- 6 individuals had been beforehand contaminated with COVID-19
- 1 particular person was hospitalized (for 2 days)
- 0 individuals have died
The place and the way is it spreading?
The CDC report was based mostly on follow-up on cases reported between December 1 – December 8 in 22 states. The company’s investigations revealed transmission related to giant occasions, worldwide journey, and households.
What signs are being reported?
Based on the report, 40 of the 43 individuals developed signs. These have been the most typical:
- Cough (89%)
- Fatigue (65%)
- Congestion or runny nostril (59%)
- Fever (38%)
- Nausea or vomiting (22%)
- Shortness of breath / problem respiration (16%)
- Diarrhea (11%)
- Lack of style / scent (8%)
Observe that this small pattern shouldn’t be learn as consultant of the whole inhabitants. Because the CDC factors out, findings within the report could mirror traits of this specific group, greater than half of whom have been below 40 and the vast majority of whom have been totally vaccinated. It’s nonetheless too early to inform if omicron cases can be milder on common than different variants over the long run.
Like different variants earlier than it, the emergence and fast unfold of omicron around the globe has underscored the significance of genetic surveillance. Based on the CDC, 50,000–60,000 constructive COVID-19 specimens are sequenced every week on common as a part of nationwide surveillance efforts. So we’ll know much more about omicron as extra information is available in.
You possibly can try the total report here.