Struggling to perceive the distinction between a WordPress submit vs web page?
Each make it straightforward to add new content material to your web site. Nonetheless, posts and pages serve totally different functions, so that you’ll need to ensure you’re utilizing the fitting kind of content material to your wants.
On this submit, we’ll allow you to perceive the distinction between a WordPress submit vs web page by:
- Explaining what a submit is
- Explaining what a web page is
- Evaluating the important thing distinction between posts vs pages
- Giving some examples of if you may use a submit vs a web page
- Explaining how to transcend simply WordPress posts and pages (or you’ll be able to completely ignore this!)
WordPress Submit vs Web page Defined
Table of Contents
Let’s get into it…
What Is a WordPress Submit?
The simplest means to consider a WordPress submit is as a “weblog submit”. When you publish a weblog submit, it routinely seems on the prime of your weblog web page. It additionally has a public publish date, an creator, and so on.
Mainly, all you want to consider is that WordPress submit = weblog submit.
What Is a WordPress Web page?
Pages are for static content material. They don’t seem in your weblog web page and so they don’t have a publish date or a public creator.
Pages are for static content material that can all the time be there. For instance, your “Contact” web page is a good instance of a web page.
What Are The Key Differences Between WordPress Posts vs Pages?
You already know the essential variations between a WordPress web page vs submit from the sections above. Now, let’s get into the extra technical/sensible variations:
- Posts have a publish date, whereas pages don’t.
- Posts have a listed creator, whereas pages don’t.
- Posts routinely seem in your weblog itemizing web page, whereas pages don’t routinely seem wherever. You want to manually hyperlink to them.
- You’ll be able to assign classes and tags to posts, however you’ll be able to’t assign them to pages.
- Pages can have “little one pages” that are principally sub-pages for the “mother or father” web page. For instance, you can have a “Providers” web page at “yoursite.com/providers” and a “Weblog Writing” sub-page at “yoursite.com/providers/blog-writing.” Posts can’t have little one pages.
When to Use WordPress Posts vs Pages?
We already coated a few of this, however let’s give some examples to drive residence the purpose:
Examples of posts:
- Some footage of your latest trip
- Particulars a few new product launch
- Your ideas on some present occasion
- …any weblog submit
Examples of pages:
- Your “Contact” web page
- Your “About” web page
- Your privateness coverage
- A devoted touchdown web page that you simply use to give away your free e-book
There are additionally instances when some content material may work as each a submit and a web page. For instance, possibly you could have a weblog about monetary independence and also you need to publish an in depth story about the way you found monetary independence – like your “origin story”.
One possibility could be to publish it as an everyday weblog submit. There’s nothing improper with that.
Nonetheless, you can additionally publish it as a static web page that lists your backstory, which some blogs do. This fashion, it’s straightforward for brand new guests to rapidly uncover your backstory.
There’s additionally nothing improper with that. Nonetheless, you’ll need to restrict your use of pages to only a few pillars, unchanging items of content material.
Going Past WordPress Posts and Pages With Customized Submit Sorts
Okay, in case you’re simply getting began with WordPress, you’ll be able to completely ignore this part. That is positively a complicated subject that goes means past posts and pages. So in case you’ve already had your complexity quota for the day crammed, simply bookmark this and are available again later when you’re feeling like digging into the deeper elements of WordPress.
With that warning out of the best way, let’s dig in…
Above, I informed you that WordPress comes with two varieties of content material by default – posts and pages.
Nonetheless, if simply having posts and pages isn’t sufficient for you, you too can add limitless new varieties of content material utilizing one thing known as a customized submit kind. A customized submit kind will be something. For instance:
- Product – if in case you have an eCommerce retailer, you can create a “product” customized submit kind.
- Occasions – if in case you have an occasion itemizing web site, you can create an “occasion” customized submit kind.
- Job – if in case you have a job itemizing web site, you can create a “job” customized submit kind.
Then, you’ll be able to work with these content material sorts in all alternative ways. For instance, you can create a hub that lists the entire lately posted jobs with out having to combine them in together with your common weblog posts.
I do know, I do know. This sounds far more complicated than the easy distinction between a WordPress submit vs web page. Nonetheless, customized submit sorts are a very large a part of what makes WordPress so versatile, so it’s helpful to perceive them.
If I’ve piqued your curiosity and also you need to be taught extra, we now have another posts to allow you to out:
To complete issues out, let’s rapidly recap what we realized:
- Posts are weblog posts. They routinely seem in your weblog web page in reverse chronological order, have a publish date and an creator, and so on.
- Pages are for static, evergreen content material that hardly ever adjustments. For instance, your “Contact” or “About” pages.
Nonetheless have any questions in regards to the distinction between a WordPress submit vs web page? Ask us within the feedback!