Disclosure: I could also be compensated by way of the hyperlinks clicked on this article. The opinions expressed are my very own and stand by my suggestions. Please learn my disclaimer for more information.
If you’re searching for an electronic mail service supplier to energy your weblog, ConvertKit might be prime of thoughts.
ConvertKit is made by content material creators for content material creators. If you presently run a weblog, YouTube channel, or podcast, it’s one of the crucial user-friendly electronic mail advertising instruments you should use.
However, ConvertKit isn’t all the time the suitable selection relying on the kind of enterprise you run and the way a lot electronic mail automation you want. Plus, ConvertKit’s pricing may be steep as your electronic mail listing scales.
In my ConvertKit evaluate, I’m masking the principle options of this electronic mail advertising platform and how one can finally resolve if it’s proper for your online business.
Table of Contents
ConvertKit is a good platform for bloggers. It has a free plan to your first 1,000 subscribers, however the service can get dearer than competing electronic mail suppliers. If you are seeking to do advanced automation, ConvertKit lacks performance in contrast with different providers like ActiveCampaign. On the optimistic aspect, the emails ConvertKit sends out can look precisely like private emails, which usually tend to wind up within the consumer’s inbox than spam.
- Personal-Looking Emails — ConvertKit’s textual content electronic mail templates appear to be common emails as an alternative of spam.
- Automation Templates — Quickly construct automations to your weblog and be taught the fundamentals of automation if you happen to’re a newbie.
- Email Deliverability — ConvertKit has over a 99% deliverability charge.
- Free Migration — Paid ConvertKit plans get a free migration out of your outdated electronic mail service supplier.
- Sell Through Email — You can promote digital merchandise and subscriptions by way of electronic mail.
- Costly Monthly Fees — ConvertKit begins at $29 monthly and is on the pricier aspect as your electronic mail listing grows.
- Fewer Integrations — While ConvertKit works with Zapier, there aren’t a whole lot of direct integrations out there like with ActiveCampaign.
- Simpler Automations — ConvertKit is ideal for bloggers and content material creators who need easy automations, not superior automation workflows.
What Is ConvertKit?
ConvertKit started in 2013 and was based by Nathan Barry, a blogger who was searching for a extra creator-friendly electronic mail advertising answer.
Since then, ConvertKit has grown to energy electronic mail lists for over 428,000 creators reaching 253 million subscribers. Overall, ConvertKit targets bloggers and different content material creators and is much less widespread for eCommerce web sites or brick-and-mortar companies.
ConvertKit is a blogger-friendly electronic mail advertising platform, and there are quite a few options that assist you to construct and interact together with your electronic mail listing. In this ConvertKit evaluate, I’m diving into the principle options you might want to know, however right here’s a broad overview of every little thing you get:
- Email Builder – Create electronic mail broadcasts with a easy electronic mail textual content editor for fast, personal-looking emails.
- Forms – Use ConvertKit’s type templates to begin capturing new subscribers.
- Segmentation – Organize subscribers utilizing ConvertKit’s segments and tag system.
- Automations – Create automations with a visible flowchart builder or use prebuit templates.
- Landing Pages – Use over 40 touchdown web page templates to advertise ebooks, occasions, product launches, and webinars.
- Email Commerce – Sell digital merchandise and subscriptions immediately by way of electronic mail.
- A/B Testing – Split take a look at topic traces and touchdown pages.
- WordPress Plugin – Easily embed ConvertKit types in your weblog with its WordPress plugin.
- Integrations – ConvertKit has over 90 integration choices.
- Free Migration – Paying prospects get a free migration to ConvertKit.
- Facebook Custom Audiences – Add your Facebook pixel to your ConvertKit touchdown pages and remarket to subscribers with Creator Pro.
- Link Redirects – Redirect incorrect or damaged hyperlinks in electronic mail blasts with Creator Pro.
- Two-Factor Authentication – Enable this function to login securely to ConvertKit.
An necessary function to think about for any electronic mail advertising device is its electronic mail editor. When constructing your electronic mail listing, you need electronic mail blasts and funnel creation to be intuitive. Plus, having extra electronic mail templates and personalization choices helps your emails look much less spammy and finally retains your subscribers studying.
ConvertKit doesn’t reinvent the wheel with its electronic mail builder. You can create electronic mail “broadcasts” which are one-time emails you ship to subscribers. There are 9 ConvertKit electronic mail templates, and so they’re really fairly plain and concentrate on textual content content material somewhat than visuals.
However, this implies the emails you ship with ConvertKit look extra like private emails you’d ship somewhat than salesy spam emails. According to ConvertKit, plain-text emails carry out higher than emails which are clogged with pictures and video.
As for the e-mail editor itself, writing emails is much like writing a daily work electronic mail. This makes ConvertKit even quicker to make use of than utilizing drag-and-drop editors with suppliers like MailerLite.
Web Form Builder and Landing Pages
ConvertKit has 4 electronic mail seize types you should use to construct your electronic mail listing:
- Inline – Appears as a part of your weblog content material
- Popup – Displays a modal field prompting for a guests electronic mail tackle. Can show based mostly upon circumstances you specifiy.
- Slide in – Display from the underside of the net web page attracting the customer’s attension.
- Sticky bar – Like the service Hello Bar, exhibits on the prime of the net web page.
Like its electronic mail templates, there are 9 type templates. You can shortly change type colours, pictures, and textual content to fit your model and messaging.
You could make types hearth relying on sure logic, like scroll-percentage down a web page, device-type, and upon exit. You may present totally different content material or disguise the shape from readers who’re already subscribed.
Overall, if you wish to ship a freebie or seize publication readers, ConvertKit has sufficient type performance. You may create distinctive opt-in types for various weblog classes and routinely tag subscribers. If you’re a multi-niche blogger, this function is a promoting level.
As for touchdown pages, you possibly can seize emails on ConvertKit-hosted touchdown pages or pages in your area. ConvertKit has over 40 touchdown web page templates out there for classes like:
Overall, ConvertKit has greater than sufficient types and touchdown pages that will help you construct your electronic mail listing and promote your services or products. The number of touchdown pages can also be a plus value noting.
While not as superior as OptinMonster’s options, ConvertKit’s choices are adequate for a newbie blogger.
ConvertKit permits you to manage subscribers in two methods:
- Tags – Help manage present subscribers based mostly on earlier habits, like buying a product or clicking particular hyperlinks in your emails.
- Segments – Lets you create segments of your electronic mail listing utilizing a number of tags.
Here’s an instance: you promote a number of kinds of on-line programs. ConvertKit permits you to tag subscribers who buy totally different programs with a novel tag for every course. You can then create a section that features all previous course purchasers and market your newest course to them. Alternatively, you possibly can create a section that excludes earlier course purchasers and market to non-purchasers to attempt to get them to purchase.
You can create segments utilizing different filters, like particular sign-up types subscribers accomplished or particular merchandise subscribers purchased. But tags are essentially the most highly effective solution to create new segments to market to.
Unlike ActiveCampaign, it doesn’t assist electronic mail lists as a manner of organizing your subscribers.
Email automation is a vital function since usually, the extra work you possibly can automate off your plate, the extra time you save and the extra visitors and running a blog income you generate.
ConvertKit doesn’t have as many automation options as one thing like ActiveCampaign. But the brilliant aspect is that ConvertKit retains issues user-friendly with its visible flowchart builder.
For the non-technical, my favourite half is the pre-built automation templates you should use.
As for automation logic, ConvertKit permits you to set a collection of triggers, actions, and circumstances that decide when and the way your automation sequences perform.
In phrases of triggers, which determines when a sequence begins, ConvertKit has a number of choices:
- Subscribes to a sequence
- Subscribes to a type
- Completes a sequence
- Clicks a hyperlink
- Has a tag added or eliminated
As for actions, which is what ConvertKit really does when a set off fires, you’ve got barely extra choices:
- Subscribe or unsubscribe to a sequence
- Subscribe or unsubscribe to a type
- Add or take away a tag
- Set a customized subject
This may sound complicated if you happen to’re new to electronic mail advertising, however once more, this is the reason the pre-built automation templates are a bonus of ConvertKit.
If you need to create welcome flows for brand new subscribers, ship follow-up emails to purchasers, or create simple electronic mail sequences, ConvertKit has you lined.
When it involves including somebody to an automation, ConvertKit has solely these potential circumstances:
ConvertKit has over 90 integrations out there, with widespread classes and companions together with:
- CRM – Includes Flow.ly, JetpackCRM, and Monday.com.
- E-Commerce – Includes Gumroad, SamCart, Stripe, and WooCommerce.
- Lead Capture – Includes ClickFunnels, Convertful, OptinMonster, and LeadPages.
- Memberships – Includes Memberful, MemberMouse, Podia, and Teachery.
- Webinars – Includes Crowdcast, Demio, SimpleWebinar, and WebinarJam.
- Website Platforms – Includes Kajabi, Wix, WordPress, and WP Engine.
ConvertKit additionally integrates with Zapier and has its personal API, so you actually shouldn’t run into any points with integrating with third-party software program.
Competing suppliers like ActiveCampaign have way more integration choices and a extra developer-friendly API, however for many bloggers, this isn’t a difference-maker.
Furthermore, organising API entry with ActiveCampaign is pretty easy. Once you create an account, you’ll find your API key below the developer instruments in your settings. ActiveCampaign additionally has a developer portal that’s stuffed with API documentation and a developer neighborhood board the place you possibly can ask questions.
And if ActiveCampaign doesn’t immediately combine with a service, it’s greater than possible you should use Zapier to do the job.
Email deliverability is the share of emails you ship that really make it to subscriber’s inboxes. This metric could be very underrated, however give it some thought: what good is an electronic mail service supplier in case your emails hold getting marked as spam?
ConvertKit has aggressive electronic mail deliverability with different prime electronic mail advertising firms. According to ConvertKit, its deliverability charge is 99.72%, and the typical open charge of all emails is round 29.2%, which is kind of excessive.
Overall, I like ConvertKit as a result of the emails appear extra private and aren’t so salesly as a result of templates are largely text-only.
Plus, ConvertKit emails have an unsubscribe choice within the footer by default, which is a should for electronic mail advertising below the CAN-SPAM Act. You may customise this textual content and the unsubscribe message, and ConvertKit is GDPR-compliant.
Email Analytics and Reporting
Optimizing your electronic mail advertising technique requires knowledge so you recognize what works and what doesn’t. On this entrance, ConvertKit presents primary analytics and reporting on its Broadcast dashboard.
This dashboard breaks down your whole electronic mail sends, open charges, click on charges, unsubscribers, and errors for each electronic mail you ship.
One nifty function is the “resend to unopened” choice that allows you to resend emails to individuals who didn’t open your electronic mail the primary time. Just watch out to not spam folks endlessly with the identical emails.
ConvertKit additionally permits you to observe related knowledge to your electronic mail sequences. And, with Creator Pro, you get superior deliverability reporting which might help you determine what’s probably dragging down your electronic mail deliverability.
ConvertKit’s pricing depends upon what number of subscribers you’ve got and if you happen to select the Creator or Creator Pro plan. There’s additionally a free plan that’s out there for as much as 1,000 subscribers, so you possibly can strive ConvertKit with out spending a penny.
Here’s how ConvertKit’s pricing and have entry breaks down for every plan with 1,000 subscribers:
If your electronic mail listing is over 1,000 subscribers, you might want to select between Creator and Creator Pro.
For most bloggers, Creator has sufficient performance. One perk of Creator Pro is integration with Facebook Custom Audiences to allow you to remarket with paid advertisements. Creator Pro additionally permits you to create a publication rewards program that pays subscribers for referring new readers to your electronic mail listing.
There are another helpful Creator Pro options, like with the ability to redirect hyperlinks if you happen to by accident ship out an electronic mail blast with an incorrect or damaged hyperlink. However, if you happen to’re a solo blogger and don’t want crew members or Facebook Custom Audiences, skip paying for Creator Pro.
Overall, ConvertKit is on the pricier aspect in comparison with alternate options like MailerLite and Moosend. For instance, at 5,000 subscribers, Creator prices $79 monthly. At 10,000 subscribers, the fee is $119 monthly.
You get two months totally free if you happen to swap to annual billing. There’s additionally a 14-day free trial for each Creator and Creator Pro, and also you don’t have to enter a bank card.
The backside line is that ConvertKit is a bit of costly. But if you happen to’re caught on electronic mail advertising as a result of different electronic mail instruments aren’t intuitive, ConvertKit’s value paying for. Plus, you possibly can simply recoup your month-to-month value if you happen to get extra weblog visitors and promote totally different merchandise or programs.
ConvertKit is made by bloggers for bloggers, and general, it’s a really intuitive electronic mail advertising platform.
If you need personal-looking emails, respectable automation capabilities, and to promote digital merchandise or subscriptions, ConvertKit is for you. Even with the marginally larger value, the general ease-of-use and perks like prebuilt automation templates are value the fee.
If you need extra automation options and management, one thing like ActiveCampaign is a better option. Otherwise, ConvertKit is a superb electronic mail advertising device for any content material creator.